Monday, March 06, 2006

Larry Caldwell

During the summer of '64, I worked for Mid-States Steel and Wire Co., in the Maintenance Dept., waiting to report for Marine Corps boot camp. That summer was made of the stuff you would only see in the movies. I had a really great summer waiting to report for military service. Jim Hamilton and I enlisted in April, knowing we'd go together to training in San Diego in August. We timed it that way so we'd be home for Christmas.
>>
After Recruit Trng I was sent to Camp Lejeune, NC. Jim was sent to Okinawa then eventually to Vietnam. Our paths crossed in Vietnam when I was reporting in and he was a few days from being sent back to the States. I never saw or heard from Jim again. I would like to hear from him, I have some boot camp questions to ask.Besides, Camp Lejeune, NC, I was stationed in Norfolk, Va; Salt Lake City, Ut; Palomar College, San Marcos, Ca; Camp Pendleton, Ca; Barstow, Ca; Vietnam and later I spent another year in Okinawa.
>>
I was also able to complete college in the military receiving both AA (Police Science) and BA (Criminal Justice) degrees. I had some teachers in HS who would have lost a considerable amount of money betting on the chances of me graduating from college!
>>
After the miltiary years I sort out and gained employment with the federal government, that way I was able to apply my military time towards retirement. I retired in Jul '03 from my position as a Security Director for a major military command in San Diego where I had lived for over 30-years.
>>
In Jun '04, we sold out house in San Diego and relocated to the Central Valley of Ca. My current wife, Catherine, is from this area. But, it's typically hotter here than it was down there and we thought it was hot there. Not as hot as Barstow, but it gets pretty warm here.
>>
I remarried in 1985, to a CA gal and we are very happy and feel quite blessed. I inherited two more girls as a result of that marriage and both of those girls live and work in this general area. None of the girls from my first marriage live anywhere around here so I don't see them much.The years since HS have gone by so very very fast that it's difficult to really grasp where they went. I hope time will slow down, but I'm finding that not to be the case. To the contrary, time seems to be speeding up. . . Larry

1 Comments:

At Thursday, 09 March, 2006, Blogger Blog Administrator said...

I will soon enter my personal bio to join Larry, on the Classes' Bio Page. He has done a great job, and I would like about 140 more; so we can catch up on our classmates. They may not end up as nice as Larry's, but you can do what you can to keep in touch. Thanks Larry
>>
On one of my first pages,on this site, I gave out my professional web page that I developed some time ago. click on "Staff" to read my profession bio. You can see a picture of a Deaf Old Man. Smile
>>
www.Signs-of-Life.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home